Monday, August 12, 2013

Timothy’s Upbringing

Narrator:  In this playlet, the story of Timothy has been given a modern rendering.  This modern iteration of the young minister’s life story traces his family background, career choice, challenges in Bible School and ministry.  The moral being that a godly family environment goes a long way in building character, godly personality as well as success in ministry.  Enjoy
Act 1 Scene 1
Dad:       Darling, today’s match between Mancity and ManU was totally awesome.  Balotelli scored a critical goal lifted his jersey to reveal his vest which had the inscription “Why always me” and this started to trend on Twitter.
Mum:    (Quizzical look on her face) Men and football!  Balo who?
Dad:       (Getting all excited) You will not believe what people came up with using that hashtag: “When I finally made it to University, the Loans’ Board stops funding my course #Why always me”
“When Kanumba finally chooses me for a Bongo movie role, he passes on and I have to start licking boots all over again #Why always me.”
Mum:    (Not to be outdone) You should have watched today’s Nollywood film.  Genievie Nnaji falls in love with Emeka Ike, (wistfully) so, so romantic.  You know, it reminded me of when we first met ….
Dad:       I stopped watching Nollywood the day a coffin was opened and the corpse was sweating! About us, why have these directors no thought it fit to feature our love story, I am sure it will be a box office hit with you playing all that hard to get stuff and making me sweat when you were interested from the word “go”.
Mum:  (Surprised) I never knew you existed until you started pestering me about me being the only sugar in your tea, butter on your bread and life being meaningless without the colour I add …. Where do men get all these stuff from?
Dad: The important thing is that it worked and here you are still adding colour to my life. (holding hands and starring at each other).
Tim:       Dad, Mum; time for family altar as I am about to sleep.
Dad:       Good ,Tim, for reminding us (looking at his watch) it is indeed time.  Let us pray
Song:     When Jesus is in the family
                Happy, happy home 3x
                When Jesus is in the family
                Happy, happy home 2x
Act 2 Scene 2
Dad:       It is that time when Tim must make a decision about what his vocation should be.  Thank God for his A-Level results;  a chip off the old block if you ask me.
Mum:    Thanks for the compliment.  I always knew he had your looks and my brains.
Dad:       Now, now I don’t want to go into any argument.  But I think with his background and interests in Science he should be a rocket scientist exploring the Universe and making information available to us about alien worlds and planets, determining if there is water on Mars to sustain life, discovering more planets and hidden worlds just like I always wanted to before my parents stopped me right in my tracks insisting that we are a family of medical doctors.
Mum:    No, no, he has just the right blend of brilliance and tact to make a good lawyer.  Right from the womb I could feel that we were getting another lawyer in the family.  He will take over my law practice and carry the family name forward.
Dad:       He will be a rocket scientist (arguing and trying to drown each other out with the repetition of the words).
Mum:    He will be a Lawyer (arguing and trying to drown each other out with the repetition of the words).
Tim:       (Coming in and Interrupting the argument) Dad and Mum, I feel God’s calling to full time ministry.  So I am planning to enroll in Bible School next fall.
Act 3 Scene 1
Dad:       Darling I just got an email from Tim.  Should I forward it to your account?
Mum:    Sweetheart, you know I can’t stand this social/new media and stuff.  What happened to the good old letter; what you now derisively refer to as “snail mail”?  Read it to me with that baritone of yours.
Dad:       Here you go
Dear Dad and Mum,
I am well settled in and school work is rigorous and fun.  I have never seen so much passion in prayer and studying the Word.  Teachers and students spend long hours in prayer and the results are amazing.  I got caught up in all of it and I can hear God more clearly.  During our practical training, I was attached to one man of God called Paul and he was so impressed with my work that he has asked me to join his ministry the moment I am done with my studies.  I can’t wait to actually be in the field winning souls for the Lord.  Even when I was with him briefly you should have seen the miracles and signs that followed his ministry.  It is out of this world.  I love you both so much xoxo (he spells it out).  PS: Send more money, my provisions are running low.  Remember, when I am not fasting I need to eat!
Act 3 Scene 2
Dad: Darling, another email from Tim.  I will read it in my baritone voice
Dear Dad and Mum,

After traveling the entire world (it seems). I have finally being given charge of a Church to Pastor.  This is all new territory to me but Apostle Paul has been so helpful.  He wrote me two lengthy epistles about how to conduct myself personally as well as in the ministry.  I have found this of tremendous help in making a success of my ministry.  We have suffered a lot in the work: shipwreck, imprisonment, murderous plots but through it all, the Lord has remained faithful.   I trust your walk with the Lord and Grandma Lois walk is as zealous as I saw growing up in our spirit-filled home.  That foundation has served me well.  I still recall learning in Sunday School from Proverbs Chapter 22:6 - Teach your children right from wrong, and when they are grown they will still do right.   You guys really laid a good foundation.